Director of Future Technology at Herman Miller
Furniture | Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan Area, US
Research and development professional with deep roots in marketing. I help organizations successfully pursue new and unfamiliar opportunities for growth. In fact, more than half of the roles listed below in my career experience did not exist before I served in those jobs.
I am also privileged to serve the Grand Rapids community in a variety of capacities, including as a member of:
- Kids Food Basket Board of Directors
- 2013 LaughFest Cabinet (planning committee), through Gilda's Club of Grand Rapids
- Board of Advisers, Manasseh Project
- 2012 class of Leadership Grand Rapids
Specialties: Marketing strategy, research, technology, social media, experience design
Recent media appearances can be seen at www.ryananderson.me
2012 - Present
Director of Future Technology / Herman Miller
• Leading Herman Miller's Future Technology Team, responsible for defining the organization's point of view and road-map relative to technology
• Conducting broad-based, user-centered research to identify emergent behavioral patterns caused by new technologies
• Generating new user-centered design principles and product concepts to technologically inform and evolve Herman Miller’s product and service offering
Manager, Emerging Media, Global Launch Team / Steelcase
• Developed digital strategies to launch new products in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
• Developed and launched Steelcase’s first fully-integrated social media campaigns, uniting the efforts of global teams and channel partners
Product Marketing Manager, media:scape / Steelcase
• Launched media:scape, Steelcase’s first collaborative technology product, and managed all critical facets of its growth – including marketing strategies, sales and channel readiness, and supporting critical sales opportunities to help Steelcase be successful in the new realm of workplace technologies
• Oversaw rapid development of product, simultaneously managing several product development projects in concert with internal and external development partners
• Developed and managed co-marketing relationships with several technology companies, including Microsoft and Polycom, to develop mutually-beneficial approaches to sales growth
Workplace Consultant, Advanced Solutions Team / Steelcase
• Created regional product launch and “pre-sell” strategies for new products, effectively linking the Steelcase product development and sales organizations
• Delivered 100+ audience-specific trends seminars in local markets, priming the marketplace for the release of new collaborative workplace solutions
Project Leader, Brand Experience Team / Steelcase
• Member of a small team charged with reorganizing the Steelcase brand architecture, defining the brand essence of each core brand, and designing customer experiences that emphasized the unique promise of each brand
• Led three research-driven, experience-design projects that resulted in a new co-branded Steelcase dealer showroom program, new marketing strategies for reaching small businesses, and new sales strategies for working with architectural and interior design firms
Market Manager, Sales Resource Team / Steelcase
• Served as a behind-the-scenes marketing consultant to the Steelcase sales organization for “must win” projects, brokering a variety of creative resources used to differentiate Steelcase in the marketplace, resulting in a regional increase of over $10m in incremental sales
• Helped to create a new tactical sales training for Steelcase called Evidence-based Selling, emphasizing the role of storytelling and the use of key customer metrics to win new business
Market Manager, A&D / Steelcase
• Served Chicago’s architecture and interior design (A&D) community by calling on approximately thirty design firms, promoting the Steelcase brand and ensuring Steelcase’s participation in projects
• Achieved $5.5 million in sales in eighteen months, significantly surpassing sales goal
Interim Director of Development / CareFirst
• Provided short-term fund raising and marketing oversight for a $1.9m nonprofit, managing donor development, advertising, grant proposals, and the development staff
• Created and instituted a tactical development plan that includes the organization’s first donor segmentation model and target marketing strategy
Asst to Director of Operations / North Park University
• Assisted Director of Operations in management of marketing, budgets, human resources, board management and other operational issues while pursuing my M.B.A.
Chicago Showroom Sales Manager / Turnstone
• Managed the sales operations and showroom for Steelcase’s Turnstone brand, calling on dealers and establishing relationships with small and mid-sized architectural and design firms.
• Achieved over $5.7 million of furniture sales, surpassing target sales goal by 48%.
Chicago Showroom Manager / Steelcase
• Managed Steelcase’s showroom in the Merchandise Mart and helped to launch new product offerings by personally hosting more than 1200 client visits to its Chicago facility.
• Served as Systems Product Specialist, helping to win and protect accounts by assisting design professionals, distributors and fellow salespersons with technical and competitive product information.
Contract Product Management / Steelcase
• Defined customer criteria for four products in early stages of development, resulting in successful advancement through several stages of the development process.
• Served as market research specialist, coordinating direct and secondary consumer research resulting in a more comprehensive understanding of consumer needs.